CAN / CAN Gateway
The rail mountable CG-ARM7 CAN Bus gateway connects and interfaces two CAN Bus subsystems or segments, allowing for the flexible design of wiring topologies, with star, tree and extensive line structures realizable. It supports data rate adaption, message filtering, and identifier conversion between the coupled busses, and is available either with two High Speed bus interfaces, or with one High Speed and one Low Speed bus interface.
High speed processing and low latency allows use with high data rates and bus loads, and the restriction of the maximum data rate depending on cable length for single CAN segments can be abolished for an over-all system.
For special tasks, such as modification of the data content of CAN messages, a development kit with the CG-ARM7/D/E design variant is optionally available for writing custom specific (ARM7) firmware. A range of code compatible CPC-ARM7 design variants are available, with the following differentiating features:
- CG-ARM7 (rail mountable; non-isolated; HS/HS, HS/LS speed options; RS-232 configuration port)
- CG-ARM7/GTI (rail mountable; galvanic isolation; HS/HS, HS/LS speed options; RS-232 configuration port)
- CG-ARM7/D/E (firmware re-programmable / recommended for development; included with development kit; HS/HS, HS/LS, LS/LS speed options; USB configuration port; extended temperature operation)
HS = High speed;
LS = Low speed
Device configuration is conducted using a PC, via CAN if also using any of the CPC Series PC Interfaces - PCI Express, USB, or Ethernet are supported - or through the built-in RS232 interface. Download software for the configuration is available for Windows and Linux PCs.
- CAN Gateway for Commercial, Business, and Industrial applications
- FCC Class A Verified: Use is restricted to commercial, business, and industrial environments
- Rail mountable
- Connection of CAN subnetworks with differing data rates
- Default (HS/HS) build connects two high speed subnetworks with support for differing data rates
- Optional (HS/LS) build can be special ordered for interfacing between high speed and low speed CAN subnetworks
- Filtering and buffering of data traffic
- Ready to use firmware allows configuration to filter and/or map messages by identifier
- Protocol Infrastructure:
- Supports CAN protocols 2.0A (11-bit identifiers) and 2.0B (29-bit identifiers)
- Suitable for use with CANopen, DeviceNet, and J1939 Higher Layer Protocols
- Microcontroller NXP LPC2119 with 2 internal CAN controllers
- Code compatible supported across CG-ARM7, CG-ARM7/GTI, and CG-ARM7/D/E CAN Gateway family
- Configuration and firmware download via RS-232 interface
- Optional configuration and firmware download via CAN Bus (requires use of CPC PC interface)
Layout and Connection
The connection to the CAN busses is achieved via pluggable terminals. Besides the CAN signals the clamps also carry the supply voltage for CG-ARM7. The following table shows the pin assignment of the internally connected interfaces.
|2, 3, 6
||CAN1 signal line (dominant high)
||CAN1 signal line (dominant low)
||CAN2 signal line (dominant high)
||CAN2 signal line (dominant low)
|Voltage on bus connections
|Admissible power consumption (at 60°C)
Any (also temporary) stress in excess of the limiting values may cause permanent damage on CG-ARM7 and other connected devices. Exposure to limiting conditions for extended periods may affect the reliability and shorten the life cycle of the device.
|Current consumption (running idle)
All values, unless otherwise specified, refer to a supply voltage of 24V and an environmental temperature of 20°C.
Scope of Delivery
- CAN/CAN Gateway CG-ARM7
- Plug with screw terminals
- User Manual
- Configuration software