The emotas CANinterpreter is a versatile CAN and CANFD Analyzer tool for monitoring, recording and analysis of data traffic in CAN networks, and is a component of the emotas CANopen (FD), SAE J1939, and EnergyBus stack and toolchain family of products. A number of plugins are available to extend functionality, including support for higher layer protocols support, such as CANopen, SAE J1939, and EnergyBus. Plugins can also be developed to customer specific requirements. Use cases include the use of CANinterpreter as service tool or as diagnostic tool for devices or plants.
For CANopen requirements, please also consider the CANopen DeviceExplorer, which offers more powerful capabilities for CANopen specific applications.
- Online monitoring of bus traffic
- Interpretation of CAN data according to user’s input
- Recording of CAN messages
- Flexible CAN-ID specific filtering
- Single or cyclic sending of CAN messages/sequences
- Extension of functions by PlugIns
- CAN FD supported with CAN FD-capable hardware
CANopen Interpretation Plugin
The CANopen Interpretation Plugin interprets all CAN messages according to the CANopen specification. E.g. instead of “40 17 10 00” the content is interpreted as a SDO read access to the Heartbeat producer object(0x1017). The traffic can be filtered by CANopen service and node-ID and also the contains of PDOs can be displayed according to their mapping.
The J1939 Plugin was developed especially for use with J1939 networks. It monitors the data traffic of J1939 networks and interprets all PGNs and J1939 transport protocols.
The EnergyBus Plugin was developed especially for use with EnergyBus. It monitors the data traffic of EnergyBus networks and displays the state and process data of all EnergyBus components.
- Microsoft Windows 10
- various Linux Variants (tested with Ubuntu 18.10) using can4linus or SocketCAN
- Supported CAN interface
Supported CAN Interfaces
- CPC-PCIe PCI Express CAN Bus interface (Windows, Linux)
- CPC-USB/ARM7 USB CAN Bus interface (Windows, Linux)
- CPC-USB/FD USB CAN & CAN FD Bus interface (Windows, Linux)
- CPC-USB/embedded USB CAN Bus interface for embedded PCs (Windows, Linux)
- CPC-USB/FDembedded USB CAN & CAN FD Bus interface for embedded PCs (Windows, Linux)
- EtherCAN CI-ARM9/RMD Ethernet to CAN Bus gateway (Windows)